RIFC Blog

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sound Advice from our Documentary Group's Guest Speaker

John Murney has graciously supplied a list of the audio equipment he brought and demonstrated at our last meeting. I thought it might be of interest to everyone.
David


As for equipment here's what we have and what I recommend:

Mixer: Shure FP-33 (For about the same price I recommend the Sound Devices 302.)

Boom Pole: I recommend the K-Tek line of boom poles. For shock mounts and wind
screens I recommend the Rycote pistol grip mount and the Rycote Softie
wind screen, sized for various model dimensions.

Shotgun Mic: For a low-budget shotgun mic I recommend the Audio Technica 835B. For
a mid-level budget I recommend the Sennheiser ME66. For a big-budget mic
I recommend the Sennheiser MKH 416.

Also, Rode now has some nice mic products at reasonable prices.

Lavalier Mics: Voice Technologies 500. For twice the price I recommend the Sonotrim mic
with a few advantages including a battery operated mic. Other good brands include Sony, Countryman, and Sanken.

Wireless Systems: I recommend the Lectrosonics brand. They offer higher end and lower
end products that are all very clean, reliable and well constructed.

Headphones: Sony MDR 7506 - Convenient size/weight and very good quality for about
$100.

Camera Cable: I recommend the Peter Engh 18' cable with XLR ends and detachable "pig
tail."

XLR Cables: I recommend Markertek's custom-made cables featuring Canare wire, Neutrik
connectors and color choice. They are excellent quality for a very reasonable price - high quality for a mid-range price.

Splitter Boxes: Whirlwind IMP 1X3 (If needed for feeding 2 or 3 camera interviews from a
mixer without multiple L/R outputs.)

Mixer Bag: PortaBrace - long-lasting and high quality, made for specific mixer models.

As for on-line purchasing I recommend Full Compass, Sweetwater, and Markertek.

As for a small, knowledgeable, reliable, and fair priced outlet for items not found in catalogs, Turner Audio in Newtown, CT. (www.turneraudio.com)

I hope this is helpful. My best to you all.

- John Murney

--
David Eliet
23 Grove Street
Pawtucket, RI 02860

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home




Copyright © 2010 Rhode Island Film Collaborative